A question for authors and readers…
Posted by maw25
He’s pretty, isn’t he?
Okay, that wasn’t the question, sorry but feel free to comment. :)
Here’s the question:
For readers: What draws you to read a book? Length? Cover? Blurb? Author name?
For authors: When you were a debut author, what got readers to your book?
The reason I’m asking these questions is because hardly anyone is reading my debut. I know, I know, its been out a month and it takes awhile for people to find it. I’ve already heard these from authors…you need a back list, don’t worry about your debut, concentrate on your next book, promo, promo, promo, did you have a mentor when you wrote the book (no I did not), have you joined a writer’s blog (tried but I’ve been rejected more times than I can count).
That’s all well and good and great advice but consider these facts that I have realized:
1. No one pays that much attention to me on FB or Twitter, so any and all promo that I have done is ignored.
2. I have/had ARC copies of my book and no one wanted them.
3. I realize that my book is only 20 pages, it won’t win the Pulitzer but I’m proud of it.
4. I know that most reviewers are backed up. It happens, trust me.
5. I know that the playing field is crowded out there with books, so I’m not sure how to stand out.
6. I don’t have a posse. Maybe I should get one…
You are probably thinking that I have sour grapes and in some respects I do. It hurts when you do something that most people wouldn’t dream of doing, you are proud of it and it seems that no one cares. It hurts that I have done everything right so far and nothing. Nada…zip…crickets chirping.
Well, I know that there are people who have read it and liked it. In fact I was told that I actually mislead them into thinking it was just hot and spicy and its more than that. ;)
I have two blog tours that will start next month and I will post every day where I am for that day. Hopefully, people will find me on the tours and want to read the book. It’s all I can hope for now.
Have a great weekend y’all.